Studies of bevacizumab and pembrolizumab in the treatment of malignant pleural mesothelioma suggest anticancer efficacy; clinical trial populations are not reflective of real-world patients. We aimed to determine the proportion of real-world patients who would be eligible for trials, identify patients who participated in clinical trials, and examine treatment and outcome data.
Patients and Methods
Consecutive patients with unresectable malignant pleural mesothelioma seen at our center from January 2012 to July 2018 were assessed with regards to their eligibility for Mesothelioma Avastin Cisplatin Study (MAPS) and KEYNOTE-028 clinical trials. Prognostic information, treatment use, and overall survival (OS) data were also collected.
A total of 133 patients were included: 50% and 37%, respectively, did not meet trial eligibility for MAPS or KEYNOTE-028, most commonly owing to age ≥75 (23%), Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group performance status of ≥2 (21%), concomitant medication (21%), or comorbidity (12%). MAPS eligibility did not correlate with use of bevacizumab (P = .30) or improved OS (P = .87). Eligibility for KEYNOTE-028 correlated with pembrolizumab use (P < .001), but not improved OS (P = .21). Patients who received an investigational anticancer therapy on any clinical trial had improved OS: 32.4 (95% CI, 23.9-40.9) months versus 20.5 (95% CI, 15.8-25.3) months (P = .01).
Only ≤63% of our patients were eligible for these trials, highlighting the differences between real-world patients and the highly select trial population. Our patients who participated in clinical trials had superior OS, further emphasizing the selection bias in the trial population.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinical Lung Cancer
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Malignant mesothelioma.Lancet. 2005; 366: 397-408
- The ticking time-bomb of asbestos: its insidious role in the development of malignant mesothelioma.Crit Rev Oncol Hematol. 2012; 84: 200-212
- Demographics, management and survival of patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma in the National Lung Cancer Audit in England and Wales.Lung Cancer. 2015; 88: 344-348
- Factors associated with survival in a large series of patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma in New South Wales.Br J Cancer. 2014; 111: 1860-1869
- Patterns of care for malignant pleural mesothelioma patients compensated by the Dust Disease Board in New South Wales, Australia.Intern Med J. 2013; 43: 402-410
- Phase III study of pemetrexed in combination with cisplatin versus cisplatin alone in patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma.J Clin Oncol. 2003; 21: 2636-2644
- Bevacizumab for newly diagnosed pleural mesothelioma in the Mesothelioma Avastin Cisplatin Pemetrexed Study (MAPS): a randomised, controlled, open-label, phase 3 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2016; 387: 1405-1414
- Extra-pleural pneumonectomy versus no extra-pleural pneumonectomy for patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma: clinical outcomes of the Mesothelioma and Radical Surgery (MARS) randomised feasibility study.Lancet Oncol. 2011; 12: 763-772
- Systematic review of trimodality therapy for patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma.Ann Cardiothorac Surg. 2012; 1: 428-437
- Phase II study of hemithoracic intensity-modulated pleural radiation therapy (IMPRINT) as part of lung-sparing multimodality therapy in patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma.J Clin Oncol. 2016; 34: 2761-2768
- Clinical safety and activity of pembrolizumab in patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma (KEYNOTE-028): preliminary results from a non-randomised open-label, phase 1b trial.Lancet Oncol. 2017; 18: 623-630
- Participation in cancer clinical trials: race-, sex-, and age-based disparities.JAMA. 2004; 291: 2720-2726
- (2018, November 16). Enrolments in clinical cancer trials as a proportion of cancer incidence.(Available at:)www.cancer.nsw.gov.au/Date accessed: June 26, 2019
- Eligibility of patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer for phase III chemotherapy trials.BMC Cancer. 2009; 9: 130
- The eligibility of advanced non-small-cell lung cancer patients for targeted therapy clinical trials.Ann Oncol. 2012; 23: 1229-1233
- Pathology and genetics of tumours of the lung, pleura, thymus and heart.World Health Organisation Classification of Tumours. IARC Press, Lyon, France2004
- Prophylactic procedure tract radiotherapy for malignant pleural mesothelioma: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Clin Transl Radiat Oncol. 2018; 13: 38-43
- Treatment of malignant pleural mesothelioma: American Society of Clinical Oncology clinical practice guideline.J Clin Oncol. 2018; 36: 1343-1373
- British Thoracic Society Guideline for the investigation and management of malignant pleural mesothelioma.Thorax. 2018; 73: i1-i30
- Tumor suppressor microRNAs contribute to the regulation of PD-L1 expression in malignant pleural mesothelioma.J Thorac Oncol. 2017; 12: 1421-1433
- A multicentre randomized phase III trial comparing pembrolizumab (P) vs single agent chemotherapy for advanced pre-treated malignant pleural mesothelioma (MPM): results from the European Thoracic Oncology Platform (ETOP 9-15) PROMISE-meso trial.Ann Oncol. 2019; 30: mdz394.091
- Pembrolizumab in performance status 2 patients with non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC): results of the PEPS2 trial.(Presented at the European Society of Medical Oncology Meeting, Munich, Germany, October 19-23)2018 (abstr 1384PD)
- Inclusion/exclusion criteria for National Cancer Institute (NCI) sponsored clinical trials 2018.(Available at:)https://ctep.cancer.gov/protocolDevelopment/templates_applications.htmDate accessed: June 18, 2019
- Pemetrexed plus carboplatin in elderly patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma: combined analysis of two phase II trials.Br J Cancer. 2008; 99: 51-56
Published online: March 06, 2020
Accepted: January 20, 2020
Received in revised form: December 30, 2019
Received: September 23, 2019
© 2020 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.