- •Little is known about optimal treatments and patterns of failure for non-operative patients with large, node-negative non–small cell lung cancer as this group is commonly excluded from major prospective clinical trials.
- •Patients treated with definitive radiation therapy have high rates of both regional and distant progression.
- •Systemic chemotherapy use is associated with significant reductions in the risk of regional and distant failure.
- •Ablative radiotherapy (i.e., stereotactic body radiotherapy, or SBRT) is associated with the highest rates of local control.
- •For inoperable patients in this cohort, strong consideration should be made to treat with SBRT and adjuvant systemic therapy when feasible.
Materials and Methods
Results and Conclusion
Abbreviations:CFRT (Conventionally-Fractionated Radiotherapy), COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease), ECOG (Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group), EMR (Electronic Medical Record), GTV (Gross Tumor Volume), HFRT (Hypofractionated Radiotherapy), HR (Hazard Ratio), NCCN (National Comprehensive Cancer Network), NSCLC (Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer), OS (Overall Survival), PFS (Progression-Free Survival), PS (Performance Status), RT (Radiation Therapy), SBRT (Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Uptake of minimally invasive surgery and stereotactic body radiation therapy for early stage non-small cell lung cancer in the USA: an ecological study of secular trends using the National Cancer Database.BMJ Open Respir Res. 2020; 7
- The Academic facility type is associated with improved overall survival for early-stage lung cancer.Ann Thorac Surg. 2021; 111: 261-268
- Durvalumab after Chemoradiotherapy in stage III non-small-cell lung cancer.N Engl J Med. 2017; 377: 1919-1929
- Sequential vs. concurrent chemoradiation for stage III non-small cell lung cancer: randomized phase III trial RTOG 9410.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2011; 103: 1452-1460
- Long-term results of stereotactic body radiation therapy in medically inoperable stage I non-small cell lung cancer.JAMA Oncol. 2018; 4: 1287-1288
- Safety and efficacy of a five-fraction stereotactic body radiotherapy schedule for centrally located non-small-cell lung cancer: NRG oncology/RTOG 0813 trial.J Clin Oncol. 2019; 37: 1316-1325
- Long-term Follow-up on NRG Oncology RTOG 0915 (NCCTG N0927): a randomized phase 2 study comparing 2 stereotactic body radiation therapy schedules for medically inoperable patients with stage I peripheral non-small cell lung cancer.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2019; 103: 1077-1084
National Comprehensive Cancer Network. Non-small cell lung cancer (v1.2022). Available at: https://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/pdf/nscl_blocks.pdf, Accessed January 12, 2022.
- Adjuvant paclitaxel plus carboplatin compared with observation in stage IB non-small-cell lung cancer: CALGB 9633 with the Cancer and Leukemia Group B, Radiation Therapy Oncology Group, and North Central Cancer Treatment Group Study Groups.J Clin Oncol. 2008; 26: 5043-5051
- Nonoperative Treatment of Large (5-7 cm), node-negative non-small cell lung cancer commonly deviates from NCCN guidelines.J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2021; https://doi.org/10.6004/jnccn.2021.7043
- Multi-institutional experience of stereotactic body radiotherapy for large (>/=5 centimeters) non-small cell lung tumors.Cancer. 2017; 123: 688-696
- Stereotactic body radiation therapy for non-small cell lung cancer tumors greater than 5 cm: safety and efficacy.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2015; 92: 325-331
- Stereotactic body radiotherapy with adjuvant systemic therapy for early-stage non-small cell lung carcinoma: a multi-institutional analysis.Radiother Oncol. 2019; 132: 188-196
- Stereotactic ablative radiotherapy versus standard radiotherapy in stage 1 non-small-cell lung cancer (TROG 09.02 CHISEL): a phase 3, open-label, randomised controlled trial.Lancet Oncol. 2019; 20: 494-503
- Definitive radiotherapy for inoperable stage IIB non-small-cell lung cancer: patterns of care and comparative effectiveness.Clin Lung Cancer. 2020; 21: 238-246
- A proportional hazards model for the subdistribution of a competing risk.J Am Stats Assoc. 1999; 94: 496-509
- Immortal time bias: a frequently unrecognized threat to validity in the evaluation of postoperative radiotherapy.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2012; 83: 1365-1373
- Stereotactic body radiation therapy and the influence of chemotherapy on overall survival for large (>/=5 Centimeter) non-small cell lung cancer.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2017; 97: 146-154