Clinical Practice Points
- •Immune checkpoint inhibitor (ICI)-related myelitis is rare.
- •Majority of patients have persistent neurologic deficits despite first-line glucocorticoids suggesting that more aggressive immunosuppression (i.e. addition of another immunosuppressive agent to steroids) upfront might be warranted.
- •The current case report suggests that the combination of high dose steroids and IVIG might be a good combination for initial treatment of ICI-associated myelitis.
- •The interaction between radiation therapy and development of immune-related myelitis warrants further study.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Pembrolizumab versus chemotherapy for previously untreated, PD-L1-expressing, locally advanced or metastatic non-small-cell lung cancer (KEYNOTE-042): a randomised, open-label, controlled, phase 3 trial.Lancet. 2019; 393: 1819-1830
- Pembrolizumab vs. chemotherapy for PD-L1-positive non-small-cell lung cancer.N Engl J Med. 2016; 375: 1823-1833
- Updated analysis of KEYNOTE-024: pembrolizumab versus platinum-based chemotherapy for advanced non-small-cell lung cancer with PD-L1 tumor proportion score of 50% or greater.J Clin Oncol. 2019; 37: 537-546
- Pembrolizumab plus chemotherapy in metastatic non-small-cell lung cancer.N Engl J Med. 2018; 378: 2078-2092
- Updated analysis From KEYNOTE-189: pembrolizumab or placebo plus pemetrexed and platinum for previously untreated metastatic nonsquamous non-small-cell lung cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2020; 38: 1505-1517
- Pembrolizumab plus chemotherapy for squamous non-small-cell lung cancer.N Engl J Med. 2018; 379: 2040-2051
- First-line nivolumab plus ipilimumab combined with two cycles of chemotherapy in patients with non-small-cell lung cancer (CheckMate 9LA): an international, randomised, open-label, phase 3 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2021; 22: 198-211
- Management of toxicities from immunotherapy: ESMO Clinical Practice Guidelines for diagnosis, treatment and follow-up.Ann Oncol. 2017; 28: iv119-iv142
- Management of immune-related adverse events in patients treated with immune checkpoint inhibitor therapy: american society of clinical oncology clinical practice guideline.J Clin Oncol. 2018; 36: 1714-1768
- Management of immune-related adverse events in patients treated with immune checkpoint inhibitor therapy: ASCO guideline update.J Clin Oncol. 2021; 39: 4073-4126
- Society for Immunotherapy of Cancer (SITC) clinical practice guideline on immune checkpoint inhibitor-related adverse events.J Immunother Cancer. 2021; 9e002435
- Neurological adverse events associated with immune checkpoint inhibitors: Review of the literature.Eur J Cancer. 2017; 73: 1-8
- Neurological complications associated with anti-programmed death 1 (PD-1) antibodies.JAMA Neurol. 2017; 74: 1216-1222
- Neurotoxicity from immune-checkpoint inhibition in the treatment of melanoma: A single centre experience and review of the literature.Ann Oncol. 2017; 28: 377-385
- Neurologic toxicity associated with immune checkpoint inhibitors: a pharmacovigilance study.J Immunother Cancer. 2019; 7: 134
- Longitudinally extensive myelitis associated with immune checkpoint inhibitors.Neurol Neuroimmunol Neuroinflamm. 2021; 8: e967
- Neurological immune related adverse events associated with nivolumab, ipilimumab, and pembrolizumab therapy – review of the literature and future outlook.J Clin Med. 2019; 8: 1777
- Inflammatory myeloradiculitis secondary to pembrolizumab: a case report and literature review.Case Rep Oncol Med. 2020; 2020: 8819296
- Infliximab for treatment-refractory transverse myelitis following immune therapy and radiation.J Immuno Ther Cancer. 2018; 6: 153
- Case report: longitudinal extensive transverse myelitis with novel autoantibodies following two rounds of pembrolizumab.Front Neurol. 2021; 12655283
- Radiation induced delayed transverse myelitis and neurological deficit at tertiary care center.Ann Med Surg (Lond). 2021; 69 (Aug 18)102728
- MRI in Transverse Myelitis.J Magnet Resonance Imag. 2014; 40: 1267-1279
- Radiation-induced myelitis: initial and follow-up MRI and clinical features in patients at a single tertiary care institution during 20 years.AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2018; 39 (Aug): 1576-1581
- Radiation myelitis after pembrolizumab administration, with favorable clinical evolution and safe rechallenge: a case report and review of the literature.J immunotherapy cancer. 2019; 7: 317
- The incidence of myelitis after irradiation of the cervical spinal cord.IJROBP. 1990; 19: 3-8
- Radiation recall myelitis following paclitaxel chemotherapy: The first reported case.Jour. of Radiosurg SBRT. 2018; 5: 331-334
- A brief case series of radiation associated myelopathy.Neurosciences. 2021; 26: 392-395
- Report of a unique case of gemcitabine-induced radiation recall myelitis following spinal cord irradiation.BJR Case Rep. 2020; 6 (Apr 23)20190118