- •Pneumonitis risk was estimated in SCLC patients receiving concurrent chemoradiation.
- •Pooled risk of ≥ grade 3 pneumonitis ranged 3.28% to 6.34% in RCTs and other studies.
- •Pooled risk of fatal pneumonitis ranged 0.29% to 0.88% in RCTs and other studies.
- •Benchmark pneumonitis risks help understand the safety of novel therapeutic agents.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Global cancer statistics 2020: GLOBOCAN estimates of incidence and mortality worldwide for 36 cancers in 185 countries.CA Cancer J Clin. 2021; 71: 209-249
- Cancer statistics, 2021.CA Cancer J Clin. 2021; 71: 7-33
- Small cell lung cancer.StatPearls. Treasure Island, FL2021
- Survival changes in patients with small cell lung cancer and disparities between different sexes, socioeconomic statuses and ages.Sci Rep. 2017; 7 (1339-1339)
- Current standards for clinical management of small cell lung cancer.Transl Lung Cancer Res. 2018; 7: 69-79
- Current diagnosis and management of small-cell lung cancer.Mayo Clin Proc. 2019; 94: 1599-1622
- Concurrent once-daily versus twice-daily chemoradiotherapy in patients with limited-stage small-cell lung cancer (CONVERT): an open-label, phase 3, randomised, superiority trial.Lancet Oncol. 2017; 18: 1116-1125
- Small cell lung cancer.Cancer Treat Res. 2016; 170: 301-322
- NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology - Small Lung Cell Cancer Version 3.2021.National Comprehensive Cancer Network, 2021
- A meta-analysis of thoracic radiotherapy for small-cell lung cancer.N Engl J Med. 1992; 327: 1618-1624
- Does thoracic irradiation improve survival and local control in limited-stage small-cell carcinoma of the lung? A meta-analysis.J Clin Oncol. 1992; 10: 890-895
- NRG Oncology/Alliance LU005: A phase II/III randomized clinical trial of chemoradiation versus chemoradiation plus atezolizumab in limited stage small cell lung cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2020; 38 (TPS9082-TPS9082)
- KEYLYNK-013: A phase 3 study of pembrolizumab in combination with concurrent chemoradiation therapy followed by pembrolizumab with or without olaparib versus concurrent chemoradiation therapy in patients with newly diagnosed limited-stage SCLC.J Clin Oncol. 2021; 39 (TPS8587-TPS8587)
- Front line applications and future directions of immunotherapy in small-cell lung cancer.Cancers (Basel). 2021; 13: 506
- Phase 1/2 trial of pembrolizumab and concurrent chemoradiation therapy for limited-stage sclc.J Thorac Oncol. 2020; 15: 1919-1927
Higgins JPT, Thomas J, Chandler J, et al. Cochrane handbook for systematic reviews of interventions (version 6.0). Updated 2019; Available at: www.training.cochrane.org/handbook. Accessed: May 10, 2020.
- Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement.PLoS Med. 2009; 6e1000097
- Best practice in systematic reviews: the importance of protocols and registration.PLoS Med. 2011; 8e1001009
Zu K, Pierce C, Uyei J, et al. Incidence of pneumonitis among stage III unresectable non-small cell lung cancer patients exposed to chemoradiation: a systematic literature review and meta-analysis. PROSPERO 2020 CRD42020196104 Available at: https://www.crd.york.ac.uk/prospero/display_record.php?ID=CRD420201961042020. Accessed: September 11, 2020.
- RoB 2: a revised tool for assessing risk of bias in randomised trials.BMJ. 2019; 366: l4898
Wells GA SB, O'Connell D, Peterson J, Welch V, Losos M, et al. The Newcastle-Ottawa Scale (NOS) for assessing the quality of nonrandomised studies in meta-analyses
- The Cochrane Collaboration's tool for assessing risk of bias in randomised trials.BMJ. 2011; 343: d5928
- Radiation dose is associated with prognosis of small cell lung cancer with superior vena cava syndrome.Int J Clin Exp Med. 2015; 8: 4263-4268
- Phase 2 study of accelerated hypofractionated thoracic radiation therapy and concurrent chemotherapy in patients with limited-stage small-cell lung cancer.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2015; 91: 517-523
- Randomized phase II trial comparing twice daily hyperfractionated with once daily hypofractionated thoracic radiotherapy in limited disease small cell lung cancer.Acta oncologica (Stockholm, Sweden). 2016; 55: 591-597
- Final report of a prospective randomized study on thoracic radiotherapy target volume for limited-stage small cell lung cancer with radiation dosimetric analyses.Cancer. 2020; 126: 840-849
- Etoposide and cisplatin versus irinotecan and cisplatin in patients with limited-stage small-cell lung cancer treated with etoposide and cisplatin plus concurrent accelerated hyperfractionated thoracic radiotherapy (JCOG0202): a randomised phase 3 study.Lancet Oncol. 2014; 15: 106-113
- Consolidation chemotherapy improves progression-free survival in stage III small-cell lung cancer following concurrent chemoradiotherapy: a retrospective study.OncoTargets and therapy. 2016; 9: 5729-5736
- Correlation of dosimetric and clinical factors with the development of esophagitis and radiation pneumonitis in patients with limited-stage small-cell lung carcinoma.Clin Lung Cancer. 2015; 16: 216-220
- Duration of twice-daily thoracic radiotherapy and time from the start of any treatment to the end of chest irradiation as significant predictors of outcomes in limited-disease small-cell lung cancer.Clin Lung Cancer. 2017; 18: e117-e127
- The influence of response to initial chemotherapy on optimal timing of radiation therapy administration for limited-disease small cell lung cancer.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2014; 90: S613
- Evaluation of factors associated with loco-regional failure and survival in limited disease small cell lung cancer patients treated with chemoradiotherapy.Acta oncologica (Stockholm, Sweden). 2015; 54: 1574-1581
- Hypo- or conventionally fractionated radiotherapy combined with chemotherapy in patients with limited stage small cell lung cancer.Radiation oncology (London, England). 2017; 12: 51
- Phase II study of consolidation amrubicin after concurrent chemoradiotherapy in patients with limited-stage small-cell lung cancer.In Vivo. 2020; 34: 897-902
- Association of immune-related pneumonitis with the efficacy of PD-1/PD-L1 inhibitors in non-small cell lung cancer.Ther Adv Med Oncol. 2020; 121758835920922033
- Pembrolizumab versus docetaxel for previously treated, PD-L1-positive, advanced non-small-cell lung cancer (KEYNOTE-010): a randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2016; 387: 1540-1550
- Anti–PD-1 inhibitor–related pneumonitis in non–small cell lung cancer.Cancer Immunol Res. 2016; 4: 289-293
- Incidence of programmed cell death 1 inhibitor–related pneumonitis in patients with advanced cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis.JAMA Oncol. 2016; 2: 1607-1616
- Chemoradiation-induced pneumonitis in patients with unresectable stage III non-small cell lung cancer: a meta-analysis.J Clin Oncol. 2021; 39 (e20532-e20532)
- Comparison of concurrent use of thoracic radiation with either carboplatin-paclitaxel or cisplatin-etoposide for patients with stage III non-small-cell lung cancer: a systematic review.JAMA Oncol. 2017; 3: 1120-1129
- Short Communication: Interim toxicity analysis for patients with limited stage small cell lung cancer (LSCLC) treated on CALGB 30610 (Alliance) /RTOG 0538.Lung Cancer. 2021; 156: 68-71
- Phase 3 comparison of high-dose once-daily (QD) thoracic radiotherapy (TRT) with standard twice-daily (BID) TRT in limited stage small cell lung cancer (LSCLC): CALGB 30610 (Alliance)/RTOG 0538.J Clin Oncol. 2021; 39 (8505-8505ASCO Presentation)