Clinical Practice Points
- •Thrombocytopenia in advanced non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) patients may indicate disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC).
- •Paraneoplastic DIC is associated with adenocarcinoma and may cause thrombosis, bleeding, and thrombocytopenia.
- •We described a patient with EGFR-mutant adenocarcinoma who experienced severe thrombocytopenia due to DIC.
- •Osimertinib resulted in a rapid resolution of DIC and thrombocytopenia in this patient.
- •Among 17 cases of pulmonary adenocarcinoma with DIC treated with targeted therapy, the estimated 1-year survival rate was 69%.
- •For patients with advanced NSCLC, testing for actionable biomarkers is important, even in the presence of DIC.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Clinical features and treatment of patients with lung adenocarcinoma with bone marrow metastasis.Tumori. 2019; 105: 388-393
- Lung cancer presenting with amegakaryocytic thrombocytopenia.J Clin Oncol. 2008; 26: 1171-1174
- Adenocarcinoma of the lung presenting as thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura.Respir Med Case Rep. 2017; 21: 82-83
- Disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC) and non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC): Report of a case and review of the literature.Lung Cancer. 2009; 64: 247-249
- Clinical features of patients with lung cancer accompanied by thromboembolism or disseminated intravascular coagulation.Ther Clin Risk Manag. 2018; 14: 1361-1368
- Dramatic response to crizotinib in an ALK-positive adenocarcinoma patient with disseminated intravascular coagulation.J Thorac Oncol. 2013; 8: e96-e98
- A case of Trousseau syndrome caused by pulmonary adenocarcinoma that was controlled for one year and 10 months with thrombosis treatment using an EGFR tyrosine kinase inhibitor and chemotherapy.Respir Med Case Rep. 2015; 15: 101-105
- Rapid and dramatic response to alectinib in an anaplastic lymphoma kinase rearranged non-small-cell lung cancer patient who is critically ill.Anticancer Drugs. 2016; 27: 573-575
Kerrigan K, Shoben A, Otterson G. Treatment of lung cancer patients with actionable mutations in the intensive care unit. clin lung cancer. 2016;17:523-527
- A case of anticoagulant treatment-resistant Trousseau syndrome controlled by treatment of the underlying lung adenocarcinoma: Utility of monitoring D-dimer levels.J Cardiol Cases. 2016; 15: 65-69
- Treatment of EGFR mutation-positive non-small cell lung cancer complicated by Trousseau syndrome with gefitinib followed by osimertinib: a case report.Oncotarget. 2018; 9: 29532-29535
- Dramatic response of acute disseminated intravascular coagulation to erlotinib in a patient with lung adenocarcinoma with activating EGFR mutation.J Int Med Res. 2018; 46: 533-537
- Lazarus syndrome with crizotinib in a non–small cell lung cancer patient with ROS1 rearrangement and disseminated intravascular coagulation.Clin Lung Cancer. 2018; 19: e57-e61
- Successful treatment of nonbacterial thrombotic endocarditis and disseminated intravascular coagulation in a patient with advanced lung adenocarcinoma using osimertinib.JTO Clin Res Rep. 2020; 1100066
Wu Y, Ni J, Chang X, Zhang X, Zhang L. Successful treatment of pyrotinib for bone marrow metastasis induced pancytopenia in a patient with non-small-cell lung cancer and ERBB2 mutation. Thorac Cancer. 2020;11 2051-2055
- Disseminated intravascular coagulation complicating diagnosis of ROS1 -MUTANT NON-SMALL cell lung cancer: a case report and literature review.Thorac Cancer. 2021; 12: 2400-2403
- EGFR-mutant NSCLC presenting with stroke and massive systemic embolization as the first manifestation: case report.BMC Neurol. 2021; 21: 221
- Trousseau's syndrome anticipating lung adenocarcinoma: a combination of novel direct oral anticoagulant and osimertinib to treat it.Glob J Cancer Case Rep. 2021; 02: 1-8
- Endovascular therapy for cerebral infarction due to Trousseau syndrome in a patient with non-small cell lung cancer.Respir Med Case Rep. 2021; 34101531
- Dramatic response to alectinib in a critically ill elderly patient with lung adenocarcinoma due to trousseau syndrome and disseminated intravascular coagulation.Intern Med. 2022; 61: 229-232
- Successful management of a lung cancer patient harbouring both EGFR mutation and EML4-ALK fusion gene with disseminated intravascular coagulation.Respir Med Case Rep. 2021; 33101393
- Current pathological and laboratory considerations in the diagnosis of disseminated intravascular coagulation.Ann Lab Med. 2016; 36: 505-512
- Supportive management strategies for disseminated intravascular coagulation. An international consensus.Thromb Haemost. 2016; 115: 896-904
- Targeted next-generation sequencing reveals exceptionally high rates of molecular driver mutations in never-smokers with lung adenocarcinoma.Oncologist. 2022; (oyac035)https://doi.org/10.1093/oncolo/oyac035
- Pulmonary tumor thrombotic microangiopathy: a clinical analysis of 30 autopsy cases.Intern Med. 2013; 52: 1317-1323