Clinical Practice Points
- •What is already known about this subject?
- •Spontaneous regression of malignant pleural mesothelioma (MPM) is a rare outcome for patients with or without conventional treatment.
- •What are the new findings?
- •Here we report 2 cases of regression of biopsy confirmed MPM in the absence of chemotherapy or radiation.
- •What are the new findings and how might they impact on clinical practice in the foreseeable future?
- •More research is warranted on the heterogeneity of MPM and the role of the patient's own immune system to control the disease in certain circumstances.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinical Lung Cancer
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Global cancer statistics 2020: GLOBOCAN estimates of incidence and mortality worldwide for 36 cancers in 185 countries.CA. Cancer J. Clin. 2021; 71: 209-249https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.21660
- Demographics, management and survival of patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma in the National Lung Cancer Audit in England and Wales.Lung Cancer. 2015; 88: 344-348https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lungcan.2015.03.005
- Survival from malignant mesothelioma: where are we now.J. R. Coll. Physicians Edinb. 2015; 45: 123-126https://doi.org/10.4997/jrcpe.2015.207
- Phase III study of pemetrexed in combination with cisplatin versus cisplatin alone in patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma.J. Clin. Oncol. 2003; 21: 2636-2644https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2003.11.136
- Mesothelioma from asbestos exposures: Epidemiologic patterns and impact in the United States.J. Toxicol. Environ. Health B Crit. Rev. 2016; 19: 250-265https://doi.org/10.1080/10937404.2016.1195323
- Pleural mesothelioma and occupational and non-occupational asbestos exposure: a case-control study with quantitative risk assessment.Occup. Environ. Med. 2016; 73: 147-153https://doi.org/10.1136/oemed-2015-102803
- Thoracoscopy in pleural malignant mesothelioma: A prospective study of 188 consecutive patients. Part 2: Prognosis and staging.Cancer. 1993; 72: 394-404https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19930715)72:2<394::AID-CNCR2820720214>3.0.CO;2-5
- Dissecting heterogeneity in malignant pleural mesothelioma through histo-molecular gradients for clinical applications.Nat. Commun. 2019; 10 (Art. no. 1)https://doi.org/10.1038/s41467-019-09307-6
- First-line nivolumab plus ipilimumab in unresectable malignant pleural mesothelioma (CheckMate 743): a multicentre, randomised, open-label, phase 3 trial.Lancet Lond. Engl. 2021; 397: 375-386https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(20)32714-8
- The use of chemotherapy in patients with advanced malignant pleural mesothelioma: a systematic review and practice guideline.J. Thorac. Oncol. 2006; 1: 591-601https://doi.org/10.1016/S1556-0864(15)30366-X
- The eighth TNM classification for malignant pleural mesothelioma.Transl. Lung Cancer Res. 2018; 7: 543-549https://doi.org/10.21037/tlcr.2018.07.05
- Anti-inflammatory activity of ayahuasca: therapeutical implications in neurological and psychiatric diseases.Behav. Brain Res. 2021; 400113003https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbr.2020.113003
- Hoasca Ethnomedicine: Traditional Use of “Nove Vegetais” (“Nine Herbs”) by União do Vegetal.The Internationalization of Ayahuasca. LIT Verlag, Münster, Germany2011
- Ayahuasca Beverages: Phytochemical Analysis and Biological Properties.Antibiotics. 2020; 9https://doi.org/10.3390/antibiotics9110731
- Spontaneous regression of thoracic malignancies.Respir. Med. 2010; 104: 1543-1550https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rmed.2010.04.026
- Apparent spontaneous complete regression of a multifocal malignant mesothelioma of the pleura.Med. J. Aust. 2007; 187: 413-415https://doi.org/10.5694/j.1326-5377.2007.tb01315.x
- Prolonged survival due to spontaneous regression and surgical excision of malignant mesothelioma.Ann. Thorac. Surg. 2007; 83: 314-315https://doi.org/10.1016/j.athoracsur.2006.05.070
- Spontaneous regression of malignant pleural mesothelioma in a patient with new-onset inflammatory arthropathy.Ann. Am. Thorac. Soc. 2015; 12: 1416-1417https://doi.org/10.1513/AnnalsATS.201506-315LE
- Localised spontaneous regression in mesothelioma — possible immunological mechanism.Lung Cancer. 2001; 32: 197-201https://doi.org/10.1016/S0169-5002(00)00217-8
- Malignant pleural mesothelioma with long-term tumor disappearance of a local relapse after surgery: a case report.J. Med. Case Reports. 2009; 3: 6800https://doi.org/10.1186/1752-1947-3-6800
- Tumor-infiltrating lymphocytes in the immunotherapy era.Cell. Mol. Immunol. 2021; 18 (Art. no. 4)https://doi.org/10.1038/s41423-020-00565-9
- Impact of tumor-infiltrating T cells on survival in patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma.J. Thorac. Cardiovasc. Surg. 2008; 135: 823-829https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtcvs.2007.10.026
- Long-term follow-up of mesothelioma patients treated with dendritic cell therapy in three phase I/II Trials.Vaccines. 2021; 9 (Art. no. 5)https://doi.org/10.3390/vaccines9050525
- A multicenter, randomized, phase II/III study of dendritic cells loaded with allogeneic tumor cell lysate (MesoPher) in subjects with mesothelioma as maintenance therapy after chemotherapy: DENdritic cell Immunotherapy for Mesothelioma (DENIM) trial.Transl. Lung Cancer Res. 2019; 8 ([Online]. Available at:) (Accessed: July 06, 2022)https://doi.org/10.21037/tlcr.2019.05.05
- Immunological Effects of Ayahuasca in Humans.J. Psychoactive Drugs. 2014; 46: 383-388https://doi.org/10.1080/02791072.2014.960113
- Use of a long-acting GnRH agonist for benign cystic mesothelioma.Obstet. Gynecol. 1995; 85 (Pt 2): 901-903https://doi.org/10.1016/0029-7844(94)00431-c
- Antagonists of growth hormone-releasing hormone (GHRH) inhibit the growth of human malignant pleural mesothelioma.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 2019; 116 (0.1073/pnas.1818865116): 2226-2231
Published online: October 12, 2022
Accepted: October 7, 2022
Received: August 22, 2022
© 2022 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.