Clinical Practice Points
- •The occurrence of an immune related adverse event is prognostically useful in patients receiving immune checkpoint inhibitors in combination with chemotherapy.
- •Immune related adverse events occur at similar rates and have analogous toxicity profiles in patients receiving combination immune checkpoint inhibitors plus chemotherapy compared to patients receiving immune checkpoint inhibitor monotherapy.
Abbreviations:ICIs (immune checkpoint inhibitors), NSCLC (non-small cell lung cancer), irAE (immune-related adverse event), ICI + CTX (immunotherapy and chemotherapy), OS (overall survival), HR (hazard ratio), PD-L1 (Programmed death ligand 1)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Toxicities of the anti-PD-1 and anti-PD-L1 immune checkpoint antibodies.Ann Oncol. 2015; 26: 2375-2391https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdv383
- Immune-related adverse events predict the efficacy of immune checkpoint inhibitors in lung cancer patients: a meta-analysis.Front Oncol. 2021; 11631949https://doi.org/10.3389/fonc.2021.631949
- Multisystem immune-related adverse events associated with immune checkpoint inhibitors for treatment of non-small cell lung cancer.JAMA Oncol. 2020; 6: 1952-1956https://doi.org/10.1001/jamaoncol.2020.5012
- Impact of immune-related adverse events on survival in patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer treated with nivolumab: long-term outcomes from a multi-institutional analysis.J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 2019; 145: 479-485https://doi.org/10.1007/s00432-018-2805-3
- Pembrolizumab plus chemotherapy in metastatic non-small-cell lung cancer.N Engl J Med. 2018; 378: 2078-2092https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1801005
- First-line nivolumab plus ipilimumab combined with two cycles of chemotherapy in patients with non-small-cell lung cancer (CheckMate 9LA): an international, randomized, open-label, phase 3 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2021; 22: 198-211https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(20)30641-0
- Atezolizumab for first-line treatment of metastatic nonsquamous NSCLC.N Engl J Med. 2018; 378: 2288-2301https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1716948
- Meta-analysis of immune-related adverse events in phase 3 clinical trials assessing immune checkpoint inhibitors for lung cancer.Crit Rev Oncol Hematol. 2021; 162103351https://doi.org/10.1016/j.critrevonc.2021.103351
- Immune-based mechanisms of cytotoxic chemotherapy: implications for the design of novel and rationale-based combined treatments against cancer.Cell Death Differ. 2014; 21: 15-25https://doi.org/10.1038/cdd.2013.67
- Immune-related adverse events are associated with clinical benefit in patients with non-small-cell lung cancer treated with immunotherapy plus chemotherapy: a retrospective study.Front Oncol. 2021; 11630136https://doi.org/10.3389/fonc.2021.630136
- First-line nivolumab plus ipilimumab with two cycles of chemotherapy vs. chemotherapy alone (four cycles) in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: CheckMate 9LA 2-year update.ESMO Open. 2021; 6100273https://doi.org/10.1016/j.esmoop.2021.100273