Number of metastatic sites can identify patient populations with non–small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) that benefit from aggressive therapy. Total volume of disease is also relevant. We evaluated the prognostic impact of biologically active volume of disease (BaVD) on patients with metastatic lung adenocarcinoma.
Materials and Methods
Positron emission tomography/computerized tomography (PET/CT) scans from patients with newly diagnosed lung adenocarcinoma prior to starting any therapy were identified. SUV thresholds of 3 and 4 were used to auto-contour all FDG avid areas. Kaplan-Meier analysis and Cox regression were performed to examine influence on OS.
One hundred forty-eight patients were included in the analysis. The median BaVD when using an SUV threshold of 3 was 122.8 mL. The median BaVD when using an SUV threshold of 4 was 46.2 mL When stratified by median BaVD using an SUV of 3, median OS was higher for patients with <=122.8 mL (2.12 years) compared to patients with >122.8 mL (1.46 years) (log-rank P = .001). Similarly, when stratified by median BaVD using an SUV of 4, median OS was higher for patients with <=46.2 mL (1.91 years; 95% CI: 1.65-3.22 years) compared to patients with >46.2 mL (1.48 years; 95% CI: 1.07-1.80 years) (log-rank P = .007). On multivariable analysis, BaVD was significantly associated with OS when using an SUV threshold of 3 (HR: 20.169, P < .001) and 4 (HR: 4.117, P < .001).
BaVD is an important prognostic factor in metastatic lung adenocarcinoma and may aid identification of patients with limited disease who may be candidates for more aggressive therapies.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinical Lung Cancer
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Cancer statistics, 2022.CA Cancer J Clin. 2022; 72: 7-33
- The effect of advances in lung-cancer treatment on population mortality.N Engl J Med. 2020; 383: 640-649
- The Eighth Edition AJCC Cancer Staging Manual: Continuing to build a bridge from apopulation-based to a more “personalized” approach to cancer staging.CA Cancer J Clin. 2017; 67: 93-99
- Stereotactic ablative radiotherapy versus standard of care palliative treatment in patients with oligometastatic cancers (SABR-COMET): a randomised, phase 2, open-label trial.Lancet. 2019; 393: 2051-2058
- Pembrolizumab after completion of locally ablative therapy for oligometastatic non–small cell lung cancer: a phase 2 trial.JAMA Oncol. 2019; 5: 1283-1290
- Local consolidative therapy vs. maintenance therapy or observation for patients with oligometastatic non–small-cell lung cancer: long-term results of a multi-institutional, phase II, randomized study.J Clin Oncol. 2019; 37: 1558
- A prospective study of surgical procedures for patients with oligometastatic non-small cell lung cancer.Ann Thorac Surg. 2014; 98: 258-264
- A comparison of two disease burden assessment methods (3D volume versus the number of lesions) for prognostication of survival in metastatic melanoma: implications for the characterization of oligometastatic disease.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2022; 114: 883-891
- The role of 18F-FDG PET/CT metabolic tumour volume in predicting survival in patients with metastatic nasopharyngeal carcinoma.Oral Oncol. 2013; 49: 71-78
- Prognostic value of FDG PET/CT-based metabolic tumor volumes in metastatic triple negative breast cancer patients.Am J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2016; 6: 120
- Whole-body metabolic tumor volume, as determined by 18F-FDG PET/CT, as a prognostic factor of outcome for patients with breast cancer who have distant metastasis.Am J Roentgenol. 2015; 205: 878-885
- Prognostic value of metabolic tumor volume and total lesion glycolysis on preoperative 18F-FDG PET/CT in patients with pancreatic cancer.J Nucl Med. 2014; 55: 898-904
- Current methods to define metabolic tumor volume in positron emission tomography: which one is better?.Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2018; 52: 5-15
- Role of gross tumor volume in the prognosis of non–small cell lung cancer treated with 3D conformal radiotherapy: a meta-analysis.Clin Ther. 2015; 37: 2256-2266
- Histology, tumor volume, and radiation dose predict outcomes in NSCLC patients after stereotactic ablative radiotherapy.J Thorac Oncol. 2018; 13: 1549-1559
- Gross tumor volume, critical prognostic factor in patients treated with three-dimensional conformal radiation therapy for non-small-cell lung carcinoma.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2002; 52: 49-57
- Predictive and prognostic value of tumor volume and its changes during radical radiotherapy of stage III non-small cell lung cancer.Strahlenther Onkol. 2018; 194: 79-90
- Post-chemotherapy gross tumor volume is predictive of survival in patients with stage III non-small cell lung cancer treated with combined modality therapy.Lung Cancer. 2006; 52: 67-74
- Increasing tumor volume is predictive of poor overall and progression-free survival: secondary analysis of the radiation therapy oncology group 93-11 phase I-II radiation dose-escalation study in patients with inoperable non–small-cell lung cancer.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2008; 70: 385-390
- Non–small cell lung cancer, version 3.2022, NCCN clinical practice guidelines in oncology.J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2022; 20: 497-530
- Primary tumor standardized uptake value (SUVmax) measured on fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography (FDG-PET) is of prognostic value for survival in non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC): a systematic review and meta-analysis (MA) by the European lung cancer working party for the IASLC lung cancer staging project.J Thorac Oncol. 2008; 3: 6-12
- Is there a common SUV threshold in oncological FDG PET/CT, at least for some common indications? A retrospective study.Acta Oncol. 2011; 50: 670-677
- Prediction of survival by [18F] fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography in patients with locally advanced non–small-cell lung cancer undergoing definitive chemoradiation therapy: results of the ACRIN 6668/RTOG 0235 trial.J Clin Oncol. 2013; 31: 3823
- Positron emission tomography after three-dimensional conformal radiation therapy for non-small cell lung cancer.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2001; 51: 89
- Optimal standardized uptake value threshold for auto contouring of gross tumor volume using positron emission tomography/computed tomography in patients with operable nonsmall-cell lung cancer: Comparison with pathological tumor size.Indian J Nucl Med IJNM Off J Soc Nucl Med India. 2021; 36: 7
- 18F-FDG PET for mediastinal staging of lung cancer: which SUV threshold makes sense?.J Nucl Med. 2007; 48: 1761-1766
- A deep learning-based auto-segmentation system for organs-at-risk on whole-body computed tomography images for radiation therapy.Radiother Oncol. 2021; 160: 175-184
- Deep learning-based auto-segmentation of lung tumor PET/CT scans: a systematic review.Clin Transl Imaging. 2022; 10: 1-7
- Classification and evaluation strategies of auto-segmentation approaches for PET: report of AAPM task group No. 211.Med Phys. 2017; 44: e1-42
- Response rate and survival at key timepoints with PD-1 blockade vs chemotherapy in PD-L1 subgroups: meta-analysis of metastatic NSCLC trials.JNCI Cancer Spectr. 2021; 5: pkab012
- A multiparametric approach to improve the prediction of response to immunotherapy in patients with metastatic NSCLC.Cancer Immunol Immunother. 2021; 70: 1667-1678
- Tumour burden and efficacy of immune-checkpoint inhibitors.Nat Rev Clin Oncol. 2022; 19: 75-90
Published online: January 20, 2023
Accepted: January 12, 2023
Received in revised form: January 11, 2023
Received: November 22, 2022
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
© 2023 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.